Dogs need to be current for all of the following vaccinations:
- Bordetella (kennel cough) – should be given at least 5 days before boarding
- Distemper/Corona/Parvo (generally given as a single injection once annually, then every 3 years in mature dogs)
- We accept your vet’s print-out as documentation for all shots. You can bring the documents with you at check in or ask your vet to fax them to 804/639-9905. Most vets are very happy to help with this!
Please understand that the bordetella vaccination prevents fewer than 50% of all canine cold viruses and your pet is still suseptable after being vaccinated (simlar to the flu shot that you might get). If we suspect a pet is showing symptoms we take the following precautions immediately:
- Remove the dog from kennel to a separate room
- Notify you and your veterinarian
- Take the dog to the vet if symptoms persist
Bordetella is an airborne pathogen and the best prevention is good airflow. We ensure that fresh air is pulled in through small cracks in the dog doors and exhausted through the roof to reduce the risk of infection. We also use HEPA filters during peak periods to help cleanse the air of germs. We NEVER allow dogs from different families to share water or toys, as that can also cause the spread of germs.